Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bob Wills is Still the King


My last post to the Aeclectic Historical Research forum was a playful rejoinder to a post by Melanchollic. (See Enrique Enriquez’ conversation with R.A. Hendley, aka RAH, aka Melanchollic.) It gave offense and has been removed, and an assortment of others have disappeared down the memory hole as well. And why not? After all, falsifying history is what Tarot “historians” do best.

The brief exchange is reproduced here (with illustrations and a couple Voltaire quotes added) just because it was fun and offered opportunity to link to some AATW stuff. Melanchollic wrote:

Most of us know and love (or hate) Mike. Love or hate, the man sticks to his guns. He's the John Wayne of tarot.

To which I replied:

Life is tough... but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.
(Sergeant Stryker, Sands of Iwo Jima)

Melanchollic wrote:

I hold similar views to Mike, and read his blog, though I agree with you that he might catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

To which I replied:

Leonard: I'm just saying, you catch more flies
with honey than with vinegar.
Sheldon: You catch even more with manure;
what's your point?

Melanchollic wrote:

(However, I do get some amount of evil pleasure when he lays in to some poor cowpoke. Being from South Texas and all.)

To which I replied:

Bob Wills is still the king.
(Waylon Jennings, Bob Wills is Still the King)
But Ray Benson rules!

Dozens of other recents posts on that forum have directly or indirectly attacked me, and more than a few contain lies about me and things I've written or am accused of having written. However, my post was singled out by the moderator—within minutes it generated a warning about off-topic posts. I can only take comfort from the spiritual wisdom of Voltaire.

I made but one prayer to God, a very short one.
“O Lord, make our enemies quite ridiculous!”
God granted it.

8 comments:

  1. LOL - me too. The serious people are on a short leash in single comments, but the idiots get a whole new forum!

    Voltaire's quote in the picture says "To succeed in the world, it's not enough to be stupid. You also have to have good manners."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ross,

    That quote really seems to capture the spirit of the forum. (And I formatted it so neatly.)

    LOL -- that was one snarky Frenchman!

    In addition to the Western Swing links, this was also a good excuse to post the link to Enrique's chat with RAH. All in all, worth the time to collect a few pics and repost.

    Best regards,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeze.. They're getting quick on the trigger over at Aeclectic. I completely missed your post. Thanks for reposting.

    I saw Waylon live when I was a kid (tween?) at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in the Astrodome. There was a rotating stage set up for the musical acts after the rodeo each night. The stage was dark and the band started up the opening drum and bass part to "Good Hearted Woman". The crowd cheered. The spots lights blasted down on a lone figure in a black hat. WAYLON! The crowd when nuts. Waylon triumphantly waved to the crowd. The drums and bass boomed on. Waylon, totally wasted, walked right off the side of the stage. The band played on. Waylon was flopped back up to the stage. He kept right on triumphantly waving. The crowd kept cheering. He delivered a perfect baritone "A long time forgotten the dreams that just fell by the way..."

    RAH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, RAH,

      LOL -- a good story... and a real professional... except for the part about being totally wasted.

      mjh

      Delete
  4. I wanted to say to Melanchollic that you are actually the Rude Pundit of Tarot, at least in some of your posts (the ones that cause all the offense), but it seemed a little dangerous to presume he - or anyone - would appreciate the Rude's version of American politics if I posted a link for the uninitiated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ross,

    When Rude gets his game on, he's way beyond even that other great Texan, Jess Karlin. He takes outrage and sardonic abuse and dumps a bucket of vulgar sexual metaphors on top of it. I'm just a little snarky, and often (as above) it's not even my own snark.

    mjh

    ReplyDelete
  6. enrique enriquezTuesday, April 03, 2012

    well, it is good to know you have been having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Enrique,

    If Bob Wills' music doesn't make you smile, something must be broken.

    mjh

    ReplyDelete